Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 16 13 10:37 PM

Tags : :

agree with tbfa's description of Great Dame: "just plain old sexual heat" and "piece d'resistance"

comparing to the below nagels, the others are blatantly racy, over the top, sexually crass. but Great Dame, she is subtle. she wears a one piece swimsuit, the others bikini's and micro thongs, nothing for imagination to discover or, uncover in nagel's case

Great Dame is constructed around anticipation and tension in offering

her bold stance portrayed in her height and squared shoulders is complemented by the stance of attention in the dog. the arched back and forward leaning head, face and eyes towards her admirer off page, is in contrast. the falling camise, she stops from falling further just above her lower waist by pinched fingers that then hold it open in anticipation. it is a presentation. her expression the suppression of delight. even her earring is gravitating towards that off image man

interesting as nagel's (i presume) choice of title, conjoining the aristocratic title "dame" and the superior breed of a canine which often accompanied royalty, is a play on words and another irony. the tiara light a subtle sign of her position

the dane is obviously a guard dog. nagel's version of half chastity half protection is also an image chosen to show phallic power. he is there to protect against what he represents and what she is now offering. more irony

the dog's head tilted to the gentleman who has the woman's attention. but here nagel flawed. the line of sight of the object (man) of her attention (again, off page) and that of the dog's do not coincide. they should. and the dog's ears should be pointed in the direction of that object

the backdrop obviously a pointed down triangle, symbolic of female virility. at first i thought the white dashes windows in a tall building. and then i realized what nagel intended them to represent

nagel, brilliant artist

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 19 13 12:30 PM

I really like it when we we discuss the art like this and the things we find in it that makes it compelling to us.

There are arguments to be had about meaning and intention in art.  Other more vocal artists who discuss their work at length (e.g. "This is what I am trying to convey," "This is a reference to a specific event in my life."), may tell us what they intended, but, sometimes, other elements get in for less conscious reasons.  

I had a prof critique my work once and she picked up on things I was not even aware that I had put in the piece.  I think the same is true for many artists whether they are aware of it or not.

For a self-effacing artist like Nagel, we are left with a lot of room to speculate on his intention and meaning; I've only ever read that he wanted his work to be something "nice for your eyes to rest on." 

Ultimately it is about what makes the work hum for us as individuals as it hangs on our walls and not some comment on the internet.   

For me, Nagel is more like Leyendecker than Rockwell is that his figures are more often posed like fashion models and I find few instances of a implied narrative in Nagel and even less hidden meaning, as much as finding some cryptic meaning appeals to me.

I heard a story that when Great Dame was released and Pat was at one of his shows, a collector walked up and told him how much he liked the drag queen he had put in Great Dame.  Based on what I have seen and heard about Nagel's very dry wit, unflappable nature, and great ease around LGBT folks, I can imagine him smiling and thanking the buyer for the compliment.

While I do not see a drag queen when I look at Great Dame, I can see why someone else would.  

With regards to Nagel's geometric shapes, I see in those Nagel trying to balance or or reinforce other elements in his work.  For Great Dame, the increasing amount of the darker color going upward balances all the energy and attention being drawn to the dog.  The light dashes in the dark add visual variety and give it an interesting sense of depth, again to balance out all the color patterns on the dog.  I don't see anything sexual there, personally, as it seems Nagel was not a sexual hypocrite or repressive in his work; if he wanted to paint two folks copulating or engaging in other sexual acts, he did.

I love Great Dame for how ridiculously wonderful it is.  We have a woman (possibly) in profile removing a robe or garment next to a Great Dane, that, honestly, is way too small unless the woman(?) portrayed is eight feet tall.

We have yet another image where Nagel had chopped the very top of her(?) head, something he was apparently criticized by some for doing too often, and she is wearing a headband that would've generated stares in real life, even in the over-the-top eighties.

And yet, it all works....at least for me and several of you.  More than a lot of Nagel pieces, it is a great conversation piece.

agree with tbfa's description of Great Dame: "just plain old sexual heat" and "piece d'resistance"comparing to the below nagels, the others are blatantly racy, over the top, sexually crass. but Great Dame, she is subtle. she wears a one piece swimsuit, the others bikini's and micro thongs, nothing for imagination to discover or, uncover in nagel's caseGreat Dame is constructed around anticipation and tension in offeringher bold stance portrayed in her height and squared shoulders is complemented by the stance of attention in the dog. the arched back and forward leaning head, face and eyes towards her admirer off page, is in contrast. the falling camise, she stops from falling further just above her lower waist by pinched fingers that then hold it open in anticipation. it is a presentation. her expression the suppression of delight. even her earring is gravitating towards that off image maninteresting as nagel's (i presume) choice of title, conjoining the aristocratic title "dame" and the superior breed of a canine which often accompanied royalty, is a play on words and another irony. the tiara light a subtle sign of her positionthe dane is obviously a guard dog. nagel's version of half chastity half protection is also an image chosen to show phallic power. he is there to protect against what he represents and what she is now offering. more ironythe dog's head tilted to the gentleman who has the woman's attention. but here nagel flawed. the line of sight of the object (man) of her attention (again, off page) and that of the dog's do not coincide. they should. and the dog's ears should be pointed in the direction of that objectthe backdrop obviously a pointed down triangle, symbolic of female virility. at first i thought the white dashes windows in a tall building. and then i realized what nagel intended them to representnagel, brilliant artist[image][image]         [image]    [image][image]

-waywardtom

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 21 13 1:13 AM

my brother is a graphic artist, makes ceramics as well. he once made a vase that by shape and by color scheme almost exactly represented a star going super nova and then becoming a black hole. as i am a student of general relativity, i saw the seemingly purposed correlation. he had no idea. just fantastic!

i doubt patrick was any dumber than marilyn monroe (brain best sex organ). probably a good deal smarter. i bet he knew Great Dame was sexier than than of the other images. although the champagne bottle is, uum, errr

there is a reason why patrick chose the animal to be a canine. and another reason why he chose it to be a great dane and another reason still why he chose the dane to be a harlequin. it adds up, she is a woman. particularly if you remove the woman and the dog... it is clear. and, do you notice he chose to portray the isosceles triangle asymmetrically? but she still happens to bisect it (just right). and then there is the shadow arrangement. or rather lack of it for the woman. nagel, again, brilliant artist!

all the animals nagel painted were predators except the bird and the horse. N/A correct me if i am wrong, i am too lazy to get up, get the book 4 feet away and flip thru it. i think the exceptions are indicative of his intentions. although Casa Lupita was for a restaurant. and Lorraine?

good call on the size of proportions, N/A. i think that finishes the narrative. that is, who wins ... "good doggie"

btw N/A, have you figured out yet, why he painted so many women without the tops of their heads?

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 21 13 10:12 AM

Nagel painted all sorts of animals, including some that are more prey than predator, like this canvas of a woman with a gazelle.

I am sure like most artists, Nagel used whatever animal reinforced his ideas of for the image, which has happened in art ever since Diana the Huntress, probably before.
If one looks at all of Pat's work, there are lots of birds, some cats, a few dogs, some horses and even..um, some raccoons....whatever Pat wanted to convey with the piece.  He also started work on a zodiac series which included the appropriate animals with the women.

Women as predators certainly wasn't new.

He also put a bird with a man in one of my favorite male images.

all the animals nagel painted were predators except the bird and the horse. N/A correct me if i am wrong,    btw N/A, have you figured out yet, why he painted so many women without the tops of their heads?

-waywardtom

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 21 13 11:26 AM

oh yah, the racoons. scavengers. no guessing what he meant there

would you post a pic of the man w/ bird N/A? cannot find it

i think that is one very strong aspect of naglism not even attempted to be captured by other artists who try to paint in nagel's style. patrick reversed some of the typical gender role. which doesn't make his work gay at all. the aggressive or dominant or instigator, patrick puts in the feminine, ergo why he chooses the masculine animal to accompany the nagel woman who is at ease with this seemingly atypical feminine quality. and his males, patrick paints with feminine qualities, pretty, passive, no male (prey or dominant) animals

i bet all the prey animals in nagel's art are ones carefully selected to portray species in which the males either posses violent instruments (like the antlers) or violent tendencies to dominate for obvious reasons. thus imparted to the nagel woman. just one more aspect of the nagel woman, like her art deco squared eyes: strength

perhaps this is the greater contribution to art by patrick nagel than the assimilation of asian woodblock french art deco. but i dont know that it originated with him. but at the least the combination of the three has

and as it goes, in nagel art the woman is in control of the male animal, which is usually the aggressive gender in most if not all animal species but human where it is usually the male and sometimes the female

Montana, a horse is a prey animal, but in this work the horse is portrayed with strength (flared main and nostrils as well as dominantly positioned above and around the woman) yet obviously submissive (bridled) to the woman who is completely at ease with the beast. as an owner of a 17 month old arabian stallion, i would rarely stand in front of him as the woman is in front of the horse in Montana; and i would never let anyone stand in front of him like she is. the horse could either bite, rear or stampede her without notice. but she is completely at ease

her hair having the same flair as the horse's main, nagel imparts to her the strength, aggressive qualities of a stallion. but her face is clearly one of peace and control, serenity

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jan 22 13 12:51 PM

Here is the man with the Parrot, I believe owned by Nagelite, and a man with a book, not that books are animals, but I a combining images for fewer files on my photo hosting:

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 23 13 12:54 AM

I love Great Dame for how ridiculously wonderful it is.  We have a woman (possibly) in profile removing a robe or garment next to a Great Dane, that, honestly, is way too small unless the woman(?) portrayed is eight feet tall.

-nagel-angel

im thinking, nagel-angel, that pat knew the difference of proportions here, the dog too small or the woman too large. and that he either chose the great dane, and made it appear smaller on purpose. or he chose to sacrifice proportionality on purpose, make the animal smaller. either way to make a point

if one thinks of what characteristics are peculiar to a great dane, which pat knew the general viewing public would appreciate for the point he was making with the piece: largest of canines, accompaniment to aristocracy or royalty, strength, protection. i propose the choice of breed is one of refinement to who pat wanted the nagel woman to be, from his earlier most retched of pieces, the ghost and barking doberman, and then the other doberman image

the way pat portrayed her hair, pulled back, large in the back, is, along with the tiara, another aspect of her upper class status. her posture, obviously slightly over correct, her ideal chest size also (celebrity royalty/aristocrat, pat borrows from storybook or hollywood fantasy)

i don't think patrick chose to make the woman large. that would be too simple for him

if patrick chose to shrink the dog, it was to maintain the conveyance of this dog's image to the woman at the same time keeping the image story being told by her total disrobing. from shoulder to waist, that ever so important pinch which reveals the depth of her meaning in offering and all the power of both brute physical strength and royalty is conveyed in her offering by the harlequin great dane, the protector of value, the accompanier of kings and queens

this piece is so damn hot

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Feb 23 13 8:23 AM

noticed as well in Montana, her eyes. she does not have the typical nagel squared eyes. also, the horse's outer eye is too narrowed; their eyes are rounder. patrick obviously wanted some consistency here. but here is an unusual occurrence, i think the transference is actually from the woman to the horse. her eye shaped realistically is reflected in the horse's eye, re-shaped to match hers. the end is the same though, another element in which the nagel woman takes on the strength quality from the animal by association of mutual presence and similar features

would anyone know when patrick painted Montana? for him to go back to the tapered eye, like Fire Alarm in the late 70s, interesting

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Es3zOndpUNE/TsqLr8rn3bI/AAAAAAAAAQs/dLvmyNxgY3I/s1600/Nagel+Horse+aka+Montana+NC13.jpg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help