Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 3 13 1:22 PM

Tags : :

2013 Apr 11 - 12 Beverly Hills Signature Illustration Art Auction  #5126

Location:Heritage Auctions - Beverly Hills9478 West Olympic Blvd., 1st FloorBeverly Hills, CA 90212
Bidding Begins:Approx. March 16, 2013
Auction Dates:April 11th through April 12th
Lot Viewing:FULL PREVIEWApril 9-11, 2013Beverly Hills, CA

PATRICK NAGEL (American, 1945-1984)
Her Seductive Look
Acrylic on canvas
70 x 32 in.
Signed lower right

Nagel, Patrick:.

Condition Report*:
Not framed.

The auction includes the usual suspects in terms of this very "pin up" focused.  The Nagel they are selling is HUGE, at 70" x 32".  It is the canvas version of an image that also exists as a piece on illustration board that appeared in Playboy.  The model is Cathy St George.

They have titled it "Her Seductive Look," but I prefer something more unique, like "Cathy St George, Boots & Bra."  :)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Mar 4 13 8:04 PM

They have titled it "Her Seductive Look," but I prefer something more unique, like "Cathy St George, Boots & Bra."  :)

-nagel-angel

"Cathy St. George: Boots, Bra & Butt"     devil 

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 19 13 10:15 PM

Does anyone know why there is no auction estimate posted for this lot?

-mmmike

My educated guess is that the spread is too high.  Heritage probably does not want to estimate and be way off the mark when the gavel falls.  Canvases in particular seem to be shooting up in value.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  wink

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 25 13 7:21 PM

This is going to sound like a promo for Heritage Auction House, but that company is seriously on the ball.  I have noticed that it is one of the very few that actually issues press releases for its auctions.  A recent news article commented on the upcoming auction that:

"Following the world record price for Patrick Nagel art that Heritage set in its last illustration auction, the company is offering one of the largest – almost seven-foot tall - and most impressive paintings by Nagel ever to come to auction, his Her Seductive Look (estimate: $20,000+)."

http://news-antique.com/?id=807009

I could go on about how they are leaving their competition in the dust, but it would sound like I was gushing. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 27 13 6:48 PM

In the Heritage catalog, the piece has an estimate of $20k-$30k.  FYI, Heritage tend to be very conservative in their estimates.

Does anyone know why there is no auction estimate posted for this lot?

-mmmike

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 31 13 9:53 AM

Hey guys and local LA Nagel collectors,

While my pocket book will not allow me to take her home. If anyone wants to meet up in Beverly Hills and go to the preview, PM me. I don't want to miss a chance to see this one in person.

Swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 31 13 8:49 PM

if the playboy publication of the illustration on art board was created and published before this canvas, and the canvas is similar enough to the illustration, can the canvas be called an original? if so, then what is the art board version considered?

PATRICK NAGEL (American, 1945-1984)Her Seductive LookAcrylic on canvas70 x 32 in.Signed lower right
Nagel, Patrick:.
The Nagel they are selling is HUGE, at 70" x 32".  It is the canvas version of an image that also exists as a piece on illustration board that appeared in Playboy.  The model is Cathy St George.

-nagel-angel

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Apr 1 13 10:11 AM

Rob-

The preview according to Heritage will be Tues-Thursday that week 10-6 pm. So I am thinking Wednesday the 10th preferably around 11am or so. Then I will lunch, shop and do whatever else a girlie, girlie does in Beverly Hills(: 

Swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 4 13 6:28 PM

Sounds fun. Hope to see you at Heritage Wednesday, Rob.

And to N-A your title below is much more fun. Wish you could be here with us.:)

-nagel-angel

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 10 13 12:31 PM

Well, I showed up early, stayed a while, but missed SwimmersGirl because I had to get back for a client meeting.  I did, however, still manage a quick stop at the Apple Pan for coffee and a banana cream pie....

Couldn't believe how large Kathy St. John was in real life.  Surprised by its condition, though.  Mostly good, but at the bottom it was scuffed and kind of dirty.  Still, it was something to behold.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help