Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 8 13 9:11 AM

Tags : :

I have a couple pieces of art that I got many years ago.  They look like Nagel style somewhat and the signature appears to be Nagel, but I am a little skeptical.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 9 13 12:25 PM

They are indeed Nagel prints from when Pat was still with us in the flesh:

From the Gommerman v. Dumas case: 

"In 1979 ITT Cannon, through D'Arcy, commissioned Nagel to create four works of art that Cannon would give as sets of lithographs to its distributors as part of a promotional campaign. The paintings' content and some aspects of the design, borders, and placement of figures allegedly were determined by D'Arcy, which provided Nagel with sketches to use in preparing his illustrations. The purchase order does not specify that the works were works for hire nor does it transfer the copyright to ITT Cannon.

"ITT Cannon accepted and paid for Nagel's paintings, but, because the promotional giveaway was less than successful, was left with many extra sets of lithographs. At some point, ITT Cannon threw away the four original paintings. Several years later Stefan Gommerman learned of the existence of these lithographs, and in 1985 purchased the remaining sets from ITT Cannon.2 At that time he also purchased from ITT any copyrights to the ITT works which ITT may have held and, in January 1986, registered each of the four works in his name."

As an aside, Steve Gommerman has been trying to sell what appear to be original works on eBay for the past several years.  The lawsuit says that the original works were discarded. Steve takes issue with that statement and asserts that he has the originals and is selling them.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 12 13 9:11 AM

Thanks for the response nagelite, that is very informative.  Can anyone tell me what these may be worth?  I have thought about selling them but have no idea what they are worth.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help