Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 28 13 9:46 AM

Tags : :

Once again there is another poorly rendered fake canvas listed at auction at Clars auction house with a pre-sale estimate of 20-40k and bids starting at 10k. Not only is the painting poorly rendered but the signature and canvas are all wrong. In addition there is no mention of provenance or authenticity. Someone needs to notify the auctioneers. Here is the listing for your reference:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/19763002_painting-patrick-nagel-woman-in-black-brassiere

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

enzo

regular

#6 [url]

Aug 29 13 6:09 PM

Well, personally if I were making counterfeit $100 bills as an homage to great American engravers, I would probably change the Secretary's signature to my own, to lessen the jail sentence.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Aug 30 13 4:09 PM

There was a guy who used to pump out "Nagel" paintings out of Santa Monica, CA from what I have been told.  This looks like his work.

BTW--Clars' staff is notoriously scatterbrained.  I don't expect that they will pull this one.

Quote    Reply   

enzo

regular

#8 [url]

Sep 6 13 3:32 PM

from Clars—

Subject: 6299: Painting, Patrick Nagel, Woman In Black Brassiere

Hello,
Im very sorry to say that we just heard from the widow of Patricck Nagel yesterday
that our painting is not by him in her opinion. Therefore the description and estimate
have been changed to after the artist with an estimate of $2000-4000. She also mentioned
that ones sold at Heritage recently were not by the artist in her opinion too. Best regards, Clars Auction Gallery

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Sep 10 13 5:30 PM

from Clars—
Subject: 6299: Painting, Patrick Nagel, Woman In Black Brassiere                         
Hello,Im very sorry to say that we just heard from the widow of Patricck Nagel yesterday
that our painting is not by him in her opinion. Therefore the description and estimate
have been changed to after the artist with an estimate of $2000-4000. She also mentioned
that ones sold at Heritage recently were not by the artist in her opinion too. Best regards,Clars Auction Gallery                          

-enzo

Just to be clear folks -- and to stop a potential rumor from running like fire through the Nagel fandom community -- Clars is a flakey auction house.  Yes, they have in the past correctly described works in their catalogs, but they also get things wrong.  They are also just simply flakey (and I know this from personal past experience). 

The paintings auctioned by Heritage looked correct to me, and as far as I know, Jennifer has never made any statements about their authenticity.  I would NOT trust second hand information to the contrary from someone at Clars.

Quote    Reply   

enzo

regular

#12 [url]

Sep 11 13 7:43 AM

Yes, I don't recall any fakes at HA. We would have noticed!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help