Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 13 13 2:42 PM

Tags : :

Greetings all:

As some of you may know, I happen to be bullish on the art of Patrick Nagel.  I've spent a considerable amount of time researching various aspects of the art market, its history and ancillary data related to the dynamics that influence the values of any given artist.  The patterns and data concerning Nagel all -- without exception -- strongly suggest that Nagel will become the iconic name for latter day 20th century art, specifically the 1980s.

In my opinion, the only obstacle blocking Patrick Nagel's ascension into the pantheon of peers (think Cheret, Mucha, Toulose-Lautrec) has been the absence of a program and management skilled in the discipline of building and maintaining value.  In my neck of the woods, we call that missing element brand strategy and it's how I've made my living for the past few decades.

A major focus of my discussion with Jennifer Dumas was my suggestions on how to develop and deploy a successful brand strategy such that Nagel's legacy is established and valued at appropriate levels by fans, collectors and other denizens of the art world.

I did not sign any "deal" with Jennifer.  I asked -- and she granted me -- the authority to investigate options available to move this task forward.

There's an endless number of strategies to review and consider.  Among the most basic is the fact that while everyone seems to love Nagel's work, an astoundingly small number of those admirers can actually identify the artist.  We've all seen knockoffs and imitations, which indicate the popularity of Nagel's style.  

My thesis is that because so few people know the name Patrick Nagel, and the true value of his work, most don't insist on owning work by the original artist who created it.  Even Wikipedia's contribution is woefully lacking.

As such,I am considering the creation of a Patrick Nagel biography. A book.  The only authoritative, comprehensive biography of the man, his work and all the anecdotal history that eventually contributed to his short but productive career.

I'd like to invite all of you to consider the notion of contributing to this project in whatever way you can.  The book will require as many witnesses to Patrick Nagel's life as can be found.  No story or person will be considered trivial.  My thinking is that if we can crowd source the data collection for the book, we can cast a wider net and get contributions from more people than I'd be able to do alone.

I'm opening up this topic for discussion and your thoughts.  At this point, I'm somewhat convinced this project is fundamental to the overall growth of the Nagel legacy.

Let me know your thoughts. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 14 13 6:32 PM

A biography on Pat's life was a project that I wanted to do years ago.  Before his untimely passing, Bill Darker, a fellow fan, was interviewing some people for a bio.  For many reasons, I think it is a great strategy to put together a comprehensive biography of Pat's life and work. 

For me, life has gotten in the way of putting such a bio together.  Thus, one reason for this site is to share some of the stories that people have about Pat. 

Quote    Reply   

enzo

regular

#2 [url]

Sep 15 13 9:05 AM

Not only would a well-done bio help jump-start the brand, but it could be a profitable endeavor for whomever writes it. Perhaps if Jennifer would agree to waive royalties for the book's color pages, a willing author would be more easily found.

One important step is to backup this forum, with images. I am not confident that Lefora will be around forever. I will see if I can extract the raw posts.

Here is an old relevant thread concerning a catalogue raisonné. http://patricknagel.lefora.com/2012/10/04/a-new-nagel-monograph-or-catalogue-raisonne/
My "wikia" was closed, so that site is not suitable for use. If anyone still likes the wiki idea, we should find a better host.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 16 13 8:46 AM

Well, you're looking at the author.  Or authors. Anyone who wishes to contribute is more than welcome to do so.  I'm assembling resources as we speak, but the planning is pretty much over.

Train's leaving the station.  Love to have you all on board.

Contact me off-site if you need to, via the contact form at my site:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Nov 19 14 12:42 AM

i think, Rob, an interesting addition to the biography would be what makes the most striking demand for the work of the man, Patrick Nagel. and frankly, i feel that the impact the work of Nagel had on me during my formative years makes for the most interesting value, strongest impact of his work.

i experienced the most striking of emotion-opening feelings when I came across my first Nagel. it was the simplist, most pedestrian, least artistic appeal of aplications of Nagel's work, licensed to be printed upon a computer mouse pad. yet that image of Cleo impressed upon my 16 year old self, just what a woman should be. what I would want in a woman.

now i have two Cleos and actively seek a third. i think I could fill my house with them and not be quenched for my desire of feeling what Patrick captured in this graphic artwork. when i look at Cleo, I melt, and I wonder... is she out there

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 29 15 6:01 PM

nagels legacy

This is quite a task , since much of 80,s artwork fell into the decorative world rather then fine.
But it does remind me of a very famous artist "Sir Alma Tadema" great turn of the century artist .his work at the time fetched up to 100,000. A piece. But he was not respected by the world of fine art
Considered too sentimental. By the 50,s originals could be found in the backrooms of gallerys or even garbage. But by the late 60 early 70s a famous man began buying them. and sloooowly by the 90,s they made a comeback. Thats how I see Nagel. It will be sometime before an appreciation for contribution to the decorative market that he made. As he put it in his own words "i dont see myself as an artist painter but more as a designer.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help