Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Aug 21 09 4:47 PM

Mike,

WOW!  I cannot provide any data other than, of course, the image seems to be of Rudolf Valentino.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Aug 21 09 9:03 PM

I thought it was an uncanny likeness as well and your photo seems to support that. I wonder how may of these could be left floating around?

-guest_guest

Oops that was me not logged in.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Aug 22 09 10:36 AM

Too much posting?  No such thing Mike!  :)

This image appears to be the basis for the head portion of Pat's image
(Based on other works and various drawings, it seems combining images
was not an uncommon practice for Nagel):

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Aug 30 09 1:58 PM

Mike, 

It never ceases to amaze me what new finds bubble to the surface.  The Valentino image is A+++++ work.  It makes me wonder where the original guache went.   (Hmmm.   I am going to have to go off  on another Nagel hunt.  ;-D  )

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 2 09 1:12 PM

I agree! Let me know if you discover more info on the piece or find where the guache ended up.

I was beyond containing my excitement when I found the invite a while back, I can't imagine there were that many printed. According to the date listed on the image, It would place the conference at either 1975 or 1980, my guess is the latter. The size of the invite measures 10 1/4" x 14 1/4" and is printed on a thick textured stock paper.

Let's see more unpublished images!

mike

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Sep 3 09 11:29 AM

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately, I too am unable to read the actual text from the picture you posted...but, being that the invitation is from Chartoff & Winkler and United Artists, I would assume that the invitation has something to do with the 1977 film release of Ken Russell's Valentino. The film was distributed by United Artists, produced by Robert Chartoff and Irwin Winkler and production credit was shared by Chartoff & Winkler and United Artists. The film was a failure both critically and commercially. Ken Russell has often described this film as the biggest mistake of his career.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Sep 3 09 1:11 PM

Looks like the party took place at Greystone Mansion, oil tycoon Ned Doheny's mega-mansion in Beverly Hills. Would love to have gone there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Sep 3 09 9:32 PM

Ok...here goes my NOCD again. I sent Mike's picture to a friend who was able to enlarge it enough to roughly make out the text.

"United Artists & Chartoff-Winkler cordially invite you to a major press conference and cocktails on Monday, August 25, at 4:30pm at the American Film Institute.  At this time, you will meet one of the world's most controversial and flamboyant directors, who will discuss details of his American debut."

From 1974 to 1976 most of the major studios were frantically trying to put together "Valentino" themed projects. Mike mentioned that the invitation was possibly from 1975 or 1980...I believe that 1975 is the most likely time frame. It would make perfect sense that United Artists would want to officially announce that they were actively working on a "Valentino" themed project early in the process. (the film was released in the US in October of 1977) Not only do the words "controversial" and "flamboyant" definitely describe director Ken Russell, Valentino was Russell's first major film for the American market. 

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Sep 3 09 10:16 PM

Excellent, thank you everyone! Btw if you wanted a close up to the text, all you had to do was ask :) I'm glad to share this with you all.

I hope this doesn't come out too large.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Dec 1 09 3:09 PM

So I'm on my lunch buzzing around the net and I finally came across this write up to an image I saved as nagelhair (my title) but I never knew anything about it, not the title or anything. And even though I found the below I'm still wary now on what is really a Nagel and what isn't though it does look like his pencil work. I do love the hair though and wish this had become a Nagel print in color. I bet it would have been beautiful!!!

Auction House: Clark Cierlak

Auction Location: USA

Auction Date: 2008

Description: Patrick Nagel (1945-1984) American PORTRAIT OF A WOMAN, pencil drawing on thin paper, sheet 14 x 11", taped with white tape to white board, two small tears at extreme edge, discoloration at tape, otherwise in good condition. Provenance: acquired directly from artist by Karl Bornstein to the present owner.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 2 09 8:55 AM

liluadc,

This piece was pulled from the auction after the estate contacted the auction house Clark Cierlak and informed them that Jennifer would not authenticate this piece as being a genuine work by Patrick Nagel.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Dec 2 09 2:18 PM

Hey guys!

Liluadc, I will let that be your call.  Personally, I would keep the sketch up with the info provided by theseatedman. 

Sketches are really hard to authenticate, even by those who have seen lots of them and who are familiar with Pat's work.  I have a sketch that I would like to post that was from the estate of a man who was a collector of Pat's work.  It's a nice sketch -- and it is even signed -- but I do not have any other info on it.

To my eyes, the sketch you posted looks like a Nagel, but I cannot be sure.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 3 09 1:09 PM

That would be a good idea to start a topic on unauthenticated works. I checked the Clark Cierlak website and found that the sketch was pulled as you said. However, there is a "Heidi" up for sale on the 13th that it set to go at a very low price: 172 Patrick Nagel (1945-1984) American HEIDI (W.19), 1983, color screenprint, signed in pencil, artist’s proof 25 aside from the numbered edition 90, sheet 35 ½ x 25”, printed by Wasserman, published by Mirage, with stamp lower right, faint surface scuffs visible at certain angles in raking light, a few soft handling creases, otherwise in good condition. $200/400

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help