Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Nov 18 10 9:32 AM

Steve,

Let me just add a few things:

Regarding Karl:
I used to call Mirage a lot back in the 80s.  Everyone there was really nice.  I even called Jennifer, and she called me back and was incredibly gracious.  But when I talked to Karl, the only thought that popped in my mind, "That man is a jerk."  I only know of one Nagel collector who ever had a positive encounter with Karl. 

Even in the Todd Bingham interview with Pat and Karl, look carefully.  Karl is uptight, interrupts Pat, and comes off prickly.  Pat appears very even keeled, but not particularly connected with Karl, like he tolerates him, but that is about the extent of it.

Back at the old forum, an artist that was represented by Karl during the same period as Mukai basically alleged that there is not much difference between a thief and an artist's publisher/distributor, which would seem to suggest something both about the art business in general, and Karl specifically.

Now that the Nagel estate is revisiting the marketplace for Nagel's work, let me say I am not alone in being most thankful Karl is not involved.

Finally, I also own "Adam."  I love it. 
It is quite different than Nagel's men, though I readily admit I love the way Nagel rendered both his men and women.  Nagel's men are aloof, like most of his women.  "Adam" is not aloof in the least.  Like Nagelite, I like that you were inspired by Pat, but put your own stamp on it.  I am also a Leyendecker admirer and I can see that in your work, though I see it in the early Nagel work as well.  I particularly like the way you rendedered eyes. 

Regards,

NA

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Nov 18 10 10:45 AM

Thank yo for the compliments. I am in the process of working on some new paintings for a show in LA .   I dealt with karl many times, even going to his home in the palisades to discuss projects, but deep down I knew that he was keeping , as they say, "keep your enemies close" the first time I met him was at the very first expo I went to, I was 21 , and my work had very little nagelish feel, . but karl came up to me , and encouraged me to go another direction. I thought it funny, didnt know any better. But i thought, he couldnt possibly feel threatend by some kid.  He did so many things to try and stop me. but I kept going, and back again. You cant stop an artist from painting what he loves.
     As for the people at mirage? jennifer was great. even after the BK of mirage. I had a nice chat with her. but the other people im sure were very nice when one was buying from them. but as for me it was the worst human experience I ever had as a young man, the arrogance of the sales people on the floor, even when i was with karl, was disgusting. and the office people just as bad when i would call or come see karl. it made me think "are people really like this?" the whole aura of mirage was an ugly experience for me.thank God its now defunct. when I know what I know about pat, just a self effacing man, down to earth, and here all this crappy arrogance around him. As you could see, it really made a negative impact on my life. Overall it was fun as well being part of all this drama at a young age. Ive got some great stories , of things mirage would do.....  

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Nov 26 10 3:32 PM

Steve,

Yes, I was talking about Jennifer Dumas.  Can I ask how your work changed?
Are you the same lead that did work that had flowers?  I have seen posters, but did not
know if that was use, though I saw the same Asian influences 
I noticed in your pre-using model figurative work.
What is your work like now?  Any examples you could post?

NA

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Nov 27 10 8:56 PM

my work is not many of the posters advertised on the net. I dont know how they just scattered my name around. i did some commercial pieces for a company, and they probably were not careful were they who's name they used. no biggie.   Here are some samples of some new pieces im workin on for a show. I also have a maya indian themed series im working on . Im always art deco driven.i have more, i could send. I just happen to be tired tonight. thanks

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Nov 28 10 12:39 AM

mukai was not a true predecessor.     ...... mukai was set up to paint as if he was, anyone with an eye would know that   mirage needed someone to fill the void......other wise mukai would still be passionate about painting woman.   He like soo many good artist's are hired out by people and directed to paint what is being marketed. Mukai is a great graphic artist. But c'mon did karl publish him at the same time as nagel? no.  He capitalised on the assumption that people trusted he knew a great artist when he saw one. it was marketing struck while the iron was hot

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Nov 29 10 11:58 AM

Lovely images! Funny enough my first thought is I want that color in lipstick. My second then goes to the how your using the colors and then into some things of note. Definitely the deco style of the hair and wishing I could see more of the second image headdress! Again absolutely beautiful.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jan 13 11 6:28 PM

Hola my name is Luis Preciado and I see several blogs have been posted regarding me and my art. Some of it is true and some of it is simply misinformation. It's been awhile since the 80's art movement, nevertheless, I still paint. I now paint in oils and my style is a little different, hehe. I still paint women as a primary subject matter, however, the work is more realistic. I too have had a few run ins with Karl Bornstein as Steve Leal has. I enjoyed reading the blogs. They have brought back some precious memories.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jan 18 11 11:00 AM

I have a 39x49 Serigraph painting by Sharp from the mid 80's lady picture signed 59/500 Authentic certificate she's called Class Act could you please tell me the history and value of her my dad paid $500.00 for her please help.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 9 11 10:32 AM

Patrick has inspired me since i was a teenager....I am proud to evolutionize into my own. This piece will be shown at chimmaya gallery opening in celebration of frida khalo reflecting my mexican heritage. I owe it to patrick to jump start my artistic endeavors...........exhibit will be at chimmaya gallery in los angeles sunday the 10th.of july...3-7 pm   lealdesign1@yahoo.com......steve

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Sep 21 11 11:37 AM

Theseated man, I think that you are absolutely correct and thank you for your input. Yes, looking at Robert Blue's 'Monica', the painting we bought is without any question an interpretation of that work.
Do you have any idea when Robert Blue painted 'Monica'? We bought our painting around 20 years or so ago and would still like to know who the artist is. Thank's once again. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help