Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 7 09 1:17 PM

Tags : :

In 1974 Ballantine's Scoth commissioned Patrick for an ad campaign with a "tie in" to the upcoming release of "The Great Gatsby" starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow. Patrick created three different images.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jun 7 09 6:11 PM

Wow! What a treat!  Patrick Nagel thought that the Ballentine's ads were the images that made his career soar.  (Some years previous the original guache with the train was sold by his estate.) 

I have seen the Cissy Houston and Charlene covers.  I have never seen the other two.  Many thanks to TheSeatedMan!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 9 09 9:21 AM

Nagel Angel,

When I first saw these posters, my head was blown.  I called all over Bank of America to find the originals.  Sadly, no luck.  The last poster has special significance because it is the only Nagel image of which I am aware where the subjects are sharing an intimate moment.  That goes against the Nagel theme of aloof beauty.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 10 09 6:41 PM

Wow!  I have to agree with TheSeatedMan;  this is my favorite of the Ballantine's ads.
What I love about Nagel is we can all find something different in them.   This woman, to me,
looks like Claudette Colbert, but I watch It Happened One Night more often than I watch anything
with Garbo.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 10 09 7:21 PM

So originally I ran across the following of just the woman with the horse for sell (way out of my price range) so I went on a deep search for information and ran across someone who had these posted. Perhaps this came from one of you here in the past? Unfortunately I really don't know if this is a book or a magazine. Again perhaps someone else here would know.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 10 09 9:00 PM

Me too my favorite era is his later 70's. then of course the later 80's. And the pencil drawings here I had never seen before!

I hope to see many more that have never been seen.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 11 09 7:23 AM

No sorry guest_guest I bought these off of ebay. So I don't know the magazine or year though 74 does seem around the right time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help