Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Aug 12 09 11:47 AM

Hello liluadc,

The two images that accompany D. H. Lawrence's "The Rocking Horse Winner" can be found in the book Question and Form in Literature: America Reads which is a high school textbook (10th grade) for English / American Literature classes. The book was initially published in 1979.

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Aug 12 09 12:39 PM

Ha! I probably got these images from you that you might have had online at some point. Your knowledge is quite vast and thank you for the information.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Aug 12 09 9:51 PM

I would like to commend liluadc on the discovery of the two Ballantine’s ads she recently posted to the forum. [Mauretania & Chicago Auto Show] Of course this discovery quickly shifted my NOCD (Nagel Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) into overdrive. Since there unfortunately isn’t a comprehensive catalogue raisonne of Patrick Nagel’s work, I simply put on my Sherlock Holmes hat and started Googling like a madman.

I initially thought the entire series of images that Patrick Nagel created for Ballantine’s had been for the “Great Gatsby” promotional campaign, but I’ve discovered this to be untrue. Prior to Paramount’s 1974 release of the film The Great Gatsby, Ballantine’s was already in the middle of their “Nostalgia Collection” promotional campaign, which featured the tagline “Ballantine’s was there”. Patrick Nagel had been commissioned by Ballantine’s long before any involvement from Paramount . The “Nostalgia Collection” campaign featured such iconic points in history as the Twentieth Century Limited (the world’s greatest train), the Mauretania (the largest and fastest ocean liner), the 1935 Chicago Auto Show (the Packard limousine and Pierce Arrow convertible) and “The Game” (Harvard vs Yale 1934). The only image that Ballantine’s had Nagel create for Paramount’s “Great Gatsby” campaign was the one featuring the obvious likenesses of Robert Redford and Mia Farrow.

Paramout chose to include only four companies in their “Great Gatsby” promotional campaign. Of those four, Ballantine’s was the only company in which Paramount actually initiated negotiations to see if Ballantine’s was interested in joining their promotional campaign. Ballantine’s basically agreed to do a “Great Gatsby” promotional “tie in” with their existing “Nostalgia Collection” campaign. Though Paramount wanted to use a film still of Redford and Farrow for the Ballantine’s ad [the “Nostalgia Collection” campaign was based on the illustrations by Patrick Nagel] Ballantine’s insisted that the “Great Gatsby” campaign be in keeping with their “Nostalgia Collection” campaign.

Nagel’s original artwork showed Redford and Farrow in a party setting, each holding a drink in their hand. Paramount requested that Nagel try again. Paramount didn’t feel that Redford looked enough like Redford and both Redford and Farrow objected to being shown holding a drink.  Nagel reworked the image, making Redford look more like Redford and removed the offending hands holding drinks.

Ballantine’s had been selling posters and t-shirts imprinted with the images from its “Nostalgia Collection” campaign, but Redford’s and Farrow’s contracts prohibited their likeness from being used to sell products outside the authorized campaign. Paramount set the dates of the campaign, which was scheduled to begin a month before the film opened and continue for one month after. Ballantine’s would only be allowed to sell the poster featuring the “Gatsby” image during this time.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Aug 12 09 10:17 PM

Thank you! - ok you must have one heck of a search engine! Right now I'm deciding on how to research the all past Rolling Stones and digging around to find out if ABC has anything. Though most likely it's show stunt logo's and such and nothing of his art that we know and love.

Nagel Obsessive Complusive Disorder - aptly put. I spend hours searching and looking for images I have never seen before.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Aug 13 09 7:08 AM

First of all, your Sherlock Holmes-like ability to track items down is beyond impressive!
Ballantine's was selling poster and t-shirts?!?!?

Question: where can I get these?  Are they still out there floating around?
I tried Googling " Ballantine's Nostalgia Collection" and didn't get anything remotely like what I was hoping for...nothing with a Nagel.

This August 1975 Nagel image from Playboy After Hours seems like it is similar to original, rejected version of the Nagel's as described first attempt at the Redford & Farrow image.

Also, since "The Game" Ballantine's ad hasn't been posted yet, here is my tiny copy of it from the November 1974 Playboy:

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 13 09 8:56 AM

Hello Nagel Angel,

Yes, during their 1973-1974 "Nostalgia Collection" campaign, Ballantine's was selling posters and
T-shirts...would you care to join me in my nervous breakdown...LOL

Unfortunately, like the Bank of America posters, these aren't going to be easy to find...especially in good condition. So far I have only found one "incomplete" set (4 of the 5 images) online. The set was sold by Heritage Galleries in 2008 through their Sunday Internet Movie Poster Auction for $286.80 

I agree, the "August 1975 Playboy After Hours" image does seem to fit the description of Nagel's original Redford - Farrow illustration. Furthermore, it would have aesthetically fit in with the other "Nostalgia Collection" images quite nicely.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Aug 13 09 2:13 PM

For those of you who are interested in obtaining actual copies of the Ballantine's ads:

The Twentieth Century Limited image can be found in the September 24, 1973 and October 29, 1973 issues of the New Yorker magazine.

The Mauretania image can be found in the October 15, 1973 issue of the New Yorker magazine.

The 1935 Chicago Auto Show image can be found in the December 10, 1973 and December 17, 1973 issues of the New Yorker magazine.

The Great Gatsby image can be found in the May 13, 1974 and May 27, 1974 issues of the New Yorker magazine.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Aug 14 09 7:34 AM

Double page vs Single Page "20th Century Limited"

At first I thought Ballantine's had just cropped and slightly squeezed the image.
But now I look at all the details, and it seems Pat painted it twice.  Look at
the woman's hand to forearm to elbow and the angles.  Look at the whole
right side of the frame where whole chunks of the train and yellow background are gone.

I have to say I MUCH prefer the wider version.

Thanks again for posting these great images and all the research you have done!

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Dec 22 09 2:09 AM

Hey Nagelite, 

Did you see the 4 original gouche on boards on Ebay right now?  From an ITT campaign.  I saw them in person, owned by a gallery owner who's apartment was stuffed with lots of fun items.  He told me how he'd made posters of them in 80's because he'd purchased them from ITT directly and later was forced to settle a lawsuit brought by the estate.  I found the legal brief online which in the "facts" statement indicated ITT had lost the originals.  Which made me suspicious of what I saw, though they appeared genuine.  Anyway, he's asking too much IMO, but it was a fun adventure.

Best,

Ed

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Dec 22 09 8:58 AM

Ed,

Give yourself a pat on the back.  You caught an issue that few would notice.  Yes, the case decision reflects that the originals were lost.  Steve, of course, was a party to that lawsuit, so I share your suspicion.  I have not seen the originals in person, but I would advise any potential purchaser to run them by Todd Bingham or some other person who is familiar with the work to authenticate them before making any purchase.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Jan 12 11 11:48 PM

A tip of the hat to Andrew Drader on the Patrick Nagel Facebook page for finding and posting these finished advertisements for Lucky Strike.  As you can see, as Pat's career progressed, he was pursuing his advertising work outside of the country.   There was a belief that lines had to be drawn between Nagel the commercial illustrator and Nagel the fine artist.

It's a controversial distinction that remains unresolved.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Feb 1 11 7:26 PM

I'm the creator of this campaign and Patrick didn't pursue us at all, it was very much the other way around. I had sold a campaign to the client "a la Nagel" and I very much wanted him to do it. He refused at first, but when I wrote to him imploringly, I was very young and this was one of the first campaigns I did on my own, he accepted to help me out! We worked on it together in his downtown studio and became friends. Patrick Nagel was a good man! Viviane

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Feb 3 11 6:04 AM

Viviane,

I am so happy you prevailed.  When "Nagel: The Art of Patrick Nagel" was released, the Lucky Strike ads inside that book became instant favorites.  They remain so now.  Of all the images in the book, those are the three I have always wished were released as prints.

Thanks for joining this forum.  Folks like you help fill out a rather empty background on the creation of Pat's work.

na

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Feb 4 11 1:36 PM

I concur with Nagel-Angel.  Thank you for stopping by Viviane!

Your story sounds similar to the young ad executive who approached Pat about doing a series of Nagel prints for Budweiser directed towards college students.  Pat had to warm up to the idea.

Good for you not taking "no" so easily. 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help