Remove this ad

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 20 11 3:29 PM

This is a beautiful painting.  It is also a good example of what to do -- and what not to do -- when trying to sell a painting on ebay.  I suspect that this painting will be up for some time (assuming that the seller does not decide to stop posting it on ebay and keep it for herself).

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 21 11 9:43 PM

When you are wrong, you are wrong.   I was wrong.  Somebody bid the $11,500.00 initial bid.  The painting is sold.

Just as a fyi to persons intending to sell a limited edition or original on eBay:  Careful with your initial bid amount.  Make a decision as to what you absolutely need to get out of the painting or print -- and then cut that amount in half.  That's your starting bid.

Now, some of you might say "Nagelite, that's crazy.  Someone may snag my piece for a fraction of its retail value."  And I would say "That's why it is on eBay.  It's an auction.  People expect wholesale/auction prices."  If you do not wish to auction your work, I would recommend selling through a knowledgeable dealer such as Mo and Todd Bingham, or Ralph and Ken at Just Looking Gallery.  They are nice people who would be happy to help you.

But as far as auctions go, auctions tend to reflect the actual value of a work without consideration of its retail markup.  It's a more accurate valuation in my opinion.  If you sell a print or original at an auction, you are probably being compensated for the true value of the piece.  This goes for all artwork, not just Nagel.  If you are disappointed in the return, chances are the piece was not worth as much in today's market as you originally thought.  

Candidly, the painting that just sold might have sold for more had the bid been low enough to get auction momentum.  That is where people with serious bids bid early and often.  Psychologically, these early bidders have a stake in the auction, and they do not want to lose.  Bids can, and do, go through the roof.

Nice painting.  The new owner will enjoy it I am sure.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 23 11 4:38 PM

I am surprised it sold too.  How much do you think it could have sold for?  There are ITT originals on ebay that seem to be getting more expensive as time goes on.  Right now, they are priced between $13,000 and $18,000.  If the seller kept the price below $10,000, they might have sold by now.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 24 11 10:33 AM

Those would be the ITT images and the "mother and child."   The seller is Stefan Gommerman, also known as Steve Dorog.  Steve and Eva (his late wife) ran an interesting gallery for many years on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.  They were both a pair of characters, but Steve was a bit of an odd duck, even among the most colorful of people. 

The story of the Gommermans and the ITT images is a long one, and it is covered in a couple of reported court cases.  One of these cases said that the originals were lost, and I would not be surprised if the originals Steve is offering turned out to be prints.  The prices keep going up and up, just above what a  willing buyer would pay.    

Steve may believe that telling the world that he has originals gives him status.  He did describe a print of Steve Leal's "Adam" as the original painting.  Steve Leal, who has posted on this forum, corrected him, and the "painting" of Adam has not appeared on eBay since then.  This one story leads me to believe that if someone were to actually bid on one of the Nagel paintings, Steve (Dorog) might very well come up with a story as to why the painting is not available, but limited edition prints are.  In any event, he is not pricing them to sell.

If anyone does purchase one of the the ITT images or the "mother and child," have it checked by a reputable dealer who is knowledgeable in Nagel before money exchanges hands.

PS -- Lindy, to answer your original question, it could have gone as higher, but how much higher I do not know.  Perhaps $1-2,000 more.  Not a lot, but not chump change either.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

May 31 11 10:28 AM

Lindy,

I am recycling your topic here insofar as yet another Nagel original has made its way onto eBay on the heels of the last original.  This one is from 1982 and is one of the few canvas paintings:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Patrick-Nagel-Original-Painting-Canvas-Signed-/330570944618?pt=Art_Prints&hash=item4cf790506a

The model reminds me of Cathy St. George (at least by that look in her eye).  I doubt it is Cathy in that Cathy never mentioned this painting previously. 

Those who study Nagel will want to examine the original at the top and the one below.  These are examples from two different periods in Nagel's paintings.  The one above is from the late 70s, and the one below from the early 80s, just prior to his death.  They are about 4 years apart in creation, but you can readily discern a change in style.

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 25 13 3:12 AM

Lindy,
I am recycling your topic here insofar as yet another Nagel original has made its way onto eBay on the heels of the last original.  This one is from 1982 and is one of the few canvas paintings:

[url]

The model reminds me of Cathy St. George (at least by that look in her eye).  I doubt it is Cathy in that Cathy never mentioned this painting previously. 
Those who study Nagel will want to examine the original at the top and the one below.  These are examples from two different periods in Nagel's paintings.  The one above is from the late 70s, and the one below from the early 80s, just prior to his death.  They are about 4 years apart in creation, but you can readily discern a change in style.

[image]
[image]

-nagelite

Thank you, Cathy St George

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 25 13 3:23 AM

It is me. I remember modeling for it but never saw him work on it. I didn't even realize he had finished it. Perhaps it was purchase quickly but it is definitely me. I really love that piece and who ever got it is very lucky. I was actually looking for another piece I always thought was me and found this completely by accident. Might have been a commission who knows.  I have quite a few out there. Thank you for sharing.  Cathy St. George

Thank you, Cathy St George

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 25 13 9:37 AM

Hi Cathy,

What's the other piece you are looking for?  Perhaps someone on this forum can help you find it.  BTW, I have a couple of pencil drawings by Nagel that I always wondered whether you were the model . . .

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help