Remove this ad

Lead

May 27 12 5:35 PM

Tags : :

After spending so much space here telling folks what their prints are worth in terms of money, I thought it would be nice to have a topic dedicated to what the Nagels we own are worth to us, not in terms of money, but in terms of the happiness they bring us.

Let's keep this topic about showing off our collections for mutual enjoyment, framing ideas, and so on.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 27 12 5:49 PM

I will christen this thread with the piece I finally acquired after years of trying to find it: Lady With Venetian Blinds.  

We all have pieces we love for different reasons.  This is one that I originally did *not* like when I first saw it, but over the years it grew on me, as did my love for film noir.  Then, I realized of all the Nagels I did not own, Lady With Venetian Blinds was my most wanted, and really was probably my favorite Nagel image.

As for getting this graphic, it has been ten plus years that I have been wanting one.  The last time one showed up on eBay was in 2004. I had just spent all my disposable funds on other Nagel serigraphs and was not in a position to buy it.

This time, when it was posted on eBay, I pounced.  And the funny thing is, it is the same one that had been listed on eBay in 2004, number 45 of 50, only now with much improved framing.

What is this piece worth to me?  
I cannot put a price on it. 

Cheers,

NA

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 31 12 9:28 AM

I'm very happy to see you get this one! I have the 36/50 pieces. It does grow on you and love it. This is the only other one I've seen out there. Where is number one? and how many out there survived out of the 50? Two?! very rare piece I think... Wish we could find all of them and know where they are.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 31 12 10:20 AM

Nice Topic !!
Some 14 years ago I med Jennifer in her home close to LA.
Nice to see howe they lived overthere. Small house but Jennifer was a nice and helpfull lady.
We talked about Pat and she showed me the place where he made the drawing and painings.
I bought some of them, most of the are from the boos The Art of ..
Hope you like the pics, they are not very clear but I think most of you know them.
So my story is ..... direct from the source !!

Best regards from The Netherlands.

Adriaan. 

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 20 12 11:06 PM

I love this topic. It might be cool if everyone who is an active collector on here lists their collection on the about me section of their profile. This way we can see who has what and if a specific question comes up about a piece we could use that as a reference. Or just for fun its nice for you to show off! So do it people. I did it on mine. Very short list but its a start.

I wonder how many members on here are active collectors or just a looky-loo that joined to try and sell off their CNs...

Swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 26 12 8:18 PM

For more than thirty years, Nagel serigraphs, bronzes and originals hung on our walls in our office... and for tthirty years we received compliments on our decor. When we closed last year and our principals retired, it was sad. Fortunately many of employees received a serigraph of their choice and the principals each took an original or a bronze. I ended up with 6 of the 11 originals, several serigraphs and signed posters and a bronze since I was the one who first put them together back in the 80s. I am now trying to decide if I will redecorate my home or come up with a way to display the Nagels that I love. I did put one on ebay earlier this year and received a lot of questions but no serious buyers. I miss seeing them but I guess they will stay stored away for awhile and I will dream of the day they will be seen again.    

Quote    Reply   

enzo

regular

#7 [url]

Jul 26 12 10:22 PM

Maverick, we would love to see your originals if it's not too hard to take photos. I find that my favorites tend to be unprinted pieces.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 30 12 6:00 PM

As you may know, I'm avidly collecting again.  But like your first love, I'll always treasure my first S/P of Mirage, bought when Patrick was still alive. I can honestly say the piece stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw it.  Today, it still hangs in my office and I still get the very same thrill when I look at it.

THAT, my friends, is how real art is supposed to affect you, regardless of the type you collect.

The file I'm uploading is NOT my piece.  It's just for reference.

Rob Frankel
http://www.robfrankel.com
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 1 12 11:12 AM

Enzo, I needed to go to my storage facility for some other items where the Nagels are also stored and was able to get to a few but most of them are already too well packed and will stay that way until a serious collector shows interest in buying them.

I could only open the crates wide enough to get angled photographs. I hope these will be do for now. Enjoy.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 1 12 12:08 PM

Maverick,

In case you did not get the word, these are all original paintings.  Yes, including the "Yellow Sweater."

The Native American piece is similar to one shown at Just Looking Gallery some years back.  The photos on it are not great, but I can see the similarity.

The others are Playboy images.  I cannot tell you too much about the 1920s couple other than to say they are amazing.  They would have been created around 1975-77. 

Nice stash of Nagels!!  

P.S. -- If you are looking to sell them, posting photos here is a good place to begin the hunt for new homes.  I am fairly sure that some of our forum members will PM you offers.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

enzo

regular

#11 [url]

Aug 1 12 12:44 PM

Wow, nice stash indeed. Thanks for posting.

It's funny how the three solid lines of face paint on the Native American are similar to the 80s stylings on "Invitation".

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 1 12 2:56 PM

Check out Gommerman's ITT paintings on eBay which he has had up since the Stone Age. The old man has finally clued in that he needs to post better pictures if he wants to get $12K a pop for each work.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 1 12 6:38 PM

Nagelite,

I was told that the 1920's piece was done for an ad for a restaurant in California. The Indian on horseback is a larger piece designed for a banner. The unique trick to the "Photographer" is that the male subject is actually nude but Patrick used a 35mm film canister drawn on a separate piece of paper to cover him so that it could be displayed in our offices. If someone wanted him nude, it can be unframed and then removed.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 1 12 10:04 PM

Maverick,

A couple of random thoughts:

As to the photographer painting --  That would figure.  I have seen a couple of Playboy pieces where portions of the images were layered on mylar.  The effort to make the picture "PG 13" as opposed to "R" is a charming feature of this painting. 

As to the Native American painting -- One of the Native American horse and riders was made for a race car.  That may very well be the one that hung in the Just Looking Gallery. 

As to your former employer -- I am curious about your former office.  I put some Nagel prints in my office (over ten years ago) and they were generally favorably accepted, although a couple of eyebrows were raised.  What was your business' connection with Pat's work?  Did it do business with Mirage?

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Aug 2 12 7:42 AM

No, our business only knew of Mirage as a source of Patrick's works. One of our owners did know his brother(and wife) who lived in Houston and If I remember correctly worked for Purina. They visited us a couple times by invitation to see our offices and Patrick's work that we had acquired.

We worked with the Department of Defense and was one of the earliest military contractors when the government started subcontracting out varies projects to lower and set fixed budgets. Our offices, which were very contemporary, were located on the top secured floors of one of the buildings on Riverway and Post Oak off 610 west if you know the Houston area. We purchased some items from Pat and some through Mirage and probably would have purchased more.

After a few years after his death, late 80's, we heard rumors that people were starting to argue over the estate and we neither wanted to be involved, had time for it and had most of our offices done. So we cut ties with everyone. If you were around, I don't need to go any further about that. Our offices stayed the same and always looked fresh and in style whenever anyone visited. His works are timeless and were greatly enjoyed by everyone who had the opportunity to see them.

I now live in West Texas with a different style home so I do miss them but I am sure someday they will bring as much joy to others as they did for us.

Note: And congratulations, the piece with the Indian was for a race car.... you do know your Nagels. There is actually a cutout where the wheel well is suppose to go. Not many people knew that.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 2 12 9:45 AM

Let me tell you more about the Indian on horseback --

Jeff Wasserman who printed many of Pat's prints was, and is, an avid car buff from way back in the 1950s and 1960s.  Think "Big Daddy Roth" hot rod era (in fact, I believe that Jeff did know Big Daddy back in the day).  In fact, that is the reason he became a printmaker.  He was decorating race cars and hot rods when someone asked him to print some T-shirts  -- and a fine art printmaker was born!

Back to your piece:  If my memory serves me correctly, Jeff asked Pat to decorate a race car.  The piece you have was the decoration.  It was a collaborative effort, if I recall.  I have not seen photos of the final product, but I was told it was a dramatic sight to behold.

(Note:  I am sure about my facts about Jeff.  The car is a little sketchy.  Jeff would be the best, and obvious, source for a correct recitation of the facts about this piece.) 

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 2 12 11:16 AM

Thank you for the information... It is a great to know a little more history and I agree that, this is a great work of art and it being almost the length of a car becomes the center of attention in any room.

We never knew the name and called it, Indian Warrior. Ironically, it was displayed in our conference room that we referred to as "the War Room".  There it was for some 30+ years and I am so thankful that it can not talk.  Oh, the stories it could tell and the books it could write.

One of the guys that I worked with made a template and thought that the lines were designed for either a 1970 Chevy II or Malibu. I am sure that people were wondering why he was holding a piece of tracing paper against their cars at The Houston Annual Classic Car show. I am glad that I was not there.

Nagelite, you have now got me thinking that I need to go back to work to have an office so that I see my old friends hanging on the wall again. There is something about Patrick's slick clean look that is like that tune in your head that you enjoy thinking about over and over again all day.

A final note: the president of our company, also retired now, was a woman that took both bronzes and an original. She totally remodel her entry in white marble and with special lighting in such a way that as you enter the eyes of the lady seems to follow you as you walk past the sculptures on each side. I can not remember if the earring was gold or silver but she had the opposite cast to match her hardware and three sets of different metals and lighter for herself to wear. She is tall with long neck so it works.

The entry is spectacular and actually so is she. Thanks again.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 3 12 11:33 AM

Maverick,

Thanks for sharing these!  Wow.  I never get less excited when seeing originals for the first time.  I am sharing a of picture of the version of the Indian that was at Just Looking Gallery a few years ago.  I apologize for the less that ideal photographs.

The colors appear much more saturated in your copy.

The Macombo piece is very appealing to me.  It has just enough of Nagel's more specific style in it and ties in so well with the Ballantine's ads, but is cleaner and more "Nagel-esque" than his work for the Silent Film Series.  Here is what the link to what Wikipedia has to say about that restaurant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mocambo

I wonder if this was work for an advert celebrating the Mocambo, much like the Ballantine's adverts that celebrated the 20th Century Limited.  I also see the same three color band on the Mocambo piece as it appears in that 20th Century Limited.

Days like this make me wish I had several thousand sitting around.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 3 12 12:01 PM

That is a great idea, as I never thought about how knowing what someone owns could make them a resource for others.

Currently I own every Nagel lifetime-released limited edition serigraph poster released by Mirage.
Of those, all are signed and numbered except for two, which I am still hunting for.

I own all of the CN/NC series prints and the three estate editions (Shannon, Park Place, and Charlotte), and the "Nagel: the Book" small serigraph, the large "test proof" serigraph,and the large lithograph.

I own both sets of "Playboy Portolios" of the small serigraphs.

I have signed copies of all the Nagel Art Expo lithographs. 

I own a signed AP of the "N: Telephone" serigraph that was done outside of Nagel's relationship with Mirage and Karl B.

Of the limited edition graphics, I own the following:
Carol
Lady With Venetian Blinds
Michelle
Seated Man
Dyansen
Kristen
Heidi
Joan Collins
Grey Lady

I have an unsigned AP of "Black and White Robe," purchased directly from the estate, an uncut "Mask" that Pat had hanging in his studio per the estate, whom I bought it from, and an unsigned 'Samper Special' proof of the large "Collector's Gallery" that became available after Santiago Samper closed his printing company.

For non-Mirage prints, I own all but one of the Nagel Ballantine's posters and all four of the Bank of America posters as well as the small ITT Canon "Deco Suite" prints and two copies of the large "Hollywood" enlargement.

I own all of the "Special Editions Limited" prints that Playboy released, both the serigraph and the lithographs, save one that has only ever shown up on eBay once since 1999.

I have all of the " 18" x 24" prints: Isetan, Black Teddy, Blue Sweater, Op[en Jacket, and the Lippman posters "Elements" and June. 

Frankly, I am also probably forgetting something.  LOL!

If you have questions about any of these prints, please let me know.

NA

I love this topic. It might be cool if everyone who is an active collector on here lists their collection on the about me section of their profile. This way we can see who has what and if a specific question comes up about a piece we could use that as a reference. Or just for fun its nice for you to show off! So do it people. I did it on mine. Very short list but its a start.I wonder how many members on here are active collectors or just a looky-loo that joined to try and sell off their CNs...Swimmersgirl

-swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Aug 3 12 12:36 PM

I knew I was forgetting something..

I also have an unsigned set of "Progressives" complete with the envelope that they came in.  (I will be sharing photos later, as it is pretty neat.) and one of the rare uncut signed complete rows of four of "Progressives" that is hand signed by Nagel and marked "Progressives" in his hand writing.
NA

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help