Remove this ad

Lead

May 31 12 10:55 AM

Tags : :

I wanted to try and see if we can track all fifty S/N Venetian Blinds. If you have one post a picture of it here and the s/number. Location where she lives. I thought it would be fun to do! I know of only two, mine and Nagel-Angels. Hopefully we can find the other 48.

Seattle, Washington 36/50 S/N

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Nov 9 12 8:20 AM

When I previewed the items at Clark, I was able to snap this photo. Sorry its not great. "Venetian Blinds" is high up on the wall directly underneath bright fluorescent light (I know, I know insert screams here). Hopefully she hasn't been there too long and whomever gets her Saturday can immediately take her home. Since it is high up, I couldn't inspect it closely, but I think she is 2/50; however the frame is fairly scuffed, chipped on its bottom edge and in my opinion needs to eventually be replaced. This is a fairly large piece so shipping won't come cheap, but she was great to see in person. To her left is the signed, framed "Stanley Fimberg" at the auction for your viewing and to give you an idea of "Venetian Blinds" size. Swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Dec 1 12 8:44 AM

To my surprise and excitement I won #2 S/N Venetian Blinds with Karl Bornstein provenance from the recent Clark auction. So much attention was spent on the drawings, I could not believe I won with a $750.00 bid. With premiums and tax she was just under 1K, a steal as we know. I am also local so no shipping was necessary, just a friend with bigger car(=.

She is in the original Mirage archival frame which I was unaware of at the time of my other post. Nagelite however pointed out in a post just prior to auction this probably adds value. (Thanks Nagelite for the encouragement on the forum and at the auction!)

Instead of re-framing her, I will just repair the bottom. You can see from my photo, my red bedroom wall makes her lips pop!  I needed a large piece here to help with my 36' ceiling and she matched my decor perfectly so it was meant to be.

#2/50 is in Los Angeles where she has lived all her life like me, a California girl. Swimmersgirl

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Dec 1 12 11:10 AM

Looks great! The large Collector's Gallery hangs in my bedroom, as well, as it's really the only place left that had adequate wall space. It also has some minor frame scratching and damage, but I chose to simply fill in the scratches with darkening markers. Investing in frame repair just didn't seem like a worthwhile expenditure....

It's amazing how a large Nagel image will completely change focus in a space.  Every time you walk in the room, it greets you and commands the space.

I never get tired of it.

Rob Frankel
http://www.robfrankel.com
http://www.robfrankelblog.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Dec 22 16 6:31 PM

Just bumped into this project the other week.  My wife and I bought Venetian Blinds signed and numbered 17/50 in the early 80's for a gallery in Pittsburgh.  Print was ordered directly from Nagel.  At the time we were told Nagel signed and numbered his works upon request as they were purchased.  Not sure if this was actually how Nagel handled all of his editions or not.  If true, it might suggest there are not 50 in the market.  Anyway, our artwork was hinged (not matted) on museum board and has been in a low light room ever since.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 22 17 9:23 PM

Hello Hennings,
'
I know more than a few of us have purchased works, often directly from the estate that were never signed by Nagel. Some may have been unsigned artist's proofs; other may be works Nagel kept for himself. I own an unsigned uncut sheet of Mask that Nagel hung either at home or work. Jennifer provided me with a COA at the time of purchase and she noted it as an artists proof.

Normally, it has been my understnading that the relationshp beteen the publisher and the artist is one where the publisher owns the printed works, but a subset, generally around 10% of the entire edition is set aside for the artist as arist's proofs, which they can keep or sell directly. The signed and numbered pieces would be the property of the publisher, with the artist getting a portion of the sales based on any number of agreements.

I know now, for example, if I want an AP from the artist SHAG, the gallery contacts SHAG to get one and a premium is paid for those.

If nothing else Karl B seemed like a very shrewd business man and Nagel seemed, if anything, a bit too relaxed about the whole thing. (All the work for hire stuff that came out when the Estate challenged Playboy's claim of copyright betrays this truth.)

You state yours is not an AP, so I find that intereting and contrary to what I would have expected.

I do know at least one set of progressive prints was in Nagel's storage when he died and it was unsigned, but was supposed to be signed.

Cheers,

NA

Hennings wrote:
Just bumped into this project the other week.  My wife and I bought Venetian Blinds signed and numbered 17/50 in the early 80's for a gallery in Pittsburgh.  Print was ordered directly from Nagel.  At the time we were told Nagel signed and numbered his works upon request as they were purchased.  Not sure if this was actually how Nagel handled all of his editions or not.  If true, it might suggest there are not 50 in the market.  Anyway, our artwork was hinged (not matted) on museum board and has been in a low light room ever since.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help