Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 17 12 9:58 PM

Tags : :

on occasion i have pondered what it is about nagel women that i find so attractive, ever since i saw my first nagel on a mouse pad back in the late 80s. i think it is obvious as one just has to look at one of most any nagel painting

and my mind wanders to the fetish Lisa in the movie, Weird Science, who came to life at the whim of teenage boys

i do think of the character traits of the nagel woman and i see it in various female characters of popular media. and i admire these characters with the same demi-reverence i do the nagel woman

first is a picture of patricia neal's character, dominique francon in the movie, The Fountainhead. her stance here shows an indignant pose both at the character howard roark and at herself. she uses her feminine figure to both rub it in his face and rebuke him for looking (staring) up at her, clearly of a different class. at herself because she is too proud to fall in love with a man who is (she perceives as) unworthy and unequal to herself

aynn rand built powerful figures in her novel female characters. so i think in addition to The Fountainhead, the author's Dagny Taggart, the female protagonist in Atlas Shrugged, is almost an embodiment of the nagel woman. unfortunately, the characters in the modern movie are a poor rendition of the book characters; although the only character of the movie (part 2 is shortly coming out) which even comes close to the strength of the book's character is that played by taylor schilling as Dagny. but she falls short of the nagel woman which the book character matches

sean young's character rachel in the early 80s movie Blade Runner, i think comes close to a nagel woman at the beginning of the movie both in appearance and character. in fact her makeup (white face, red lips, hair up), i would not be surprised if it was influenced by the nagel woman; the movie is full of art deco. she is confident, distant, self-reliant.

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 21 12 10:05 PM

Good observation, and I agree with you, waywardtom. The character Rachel in Blade Runner best resembles, I think, what Nagel would look for in a woman. I wonder, however, is it facial features or the pose that make the Nagel women? I made this illustration as a wedding gift for a friend of mine whom I wouldn't have considered to be Nagel caliber, but with the right pose and expression, it could work

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-axWfhMVBbfo/T9V4iW5ljCI/AAAAAAAAAog/jC8vYyyaTLo/s1600/betina+wedding+copy.jpg

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 29 12 8:09 AM

One of the things that I love about Nagel is how open his figures are to being so many different women. I started collecting Nagel's work when I was fourteen.  My mother thought some of these pieces looked like her.  I thought "Sushi Girl" looked like my eldest sister.  

When I see Nagel's actual models, my first thought is, "really?"  He made so many modifications from the photograph to the drawing to the final work, that the woman becomes an idea of woman rather than a portrait of the women he photographed...unless that was the goal.
Even the ower of the orignal of Grey Lady once reported that she met a few of his models at shows and was surprized by how ordinary and average they were.  To me, that means Pat saw the extraordinary in those models and revealed that through his work.

I think if we like what we see in Nagel's women, we associate them with women we like or find attractive.  For me, Nagel's women seemed like several European actresses at the time, and I will post some photos in the coming days.  I also have my suspicions that Pat was inspired by a few films and the characters in those films.

Since there has been so much recent discussion here about legal legacy of ITT/Cannon "Deco Suite" and the originals, it seems a perfect place to start.

For the "Hollywood" piece, which clearly harkens back to early Hollywood, who would be a better woman to portray than the "First Lady of Hollywood," Mrs Irving Thalberg, Norma Shearer? 
http://hollywood-legends.webs.com/ladyofthenight/bio2.htm 

Nagel clearly loved early Hollywood and it is hard for me to look at this piece at not see Norma as the inspiration:

Cheers,

NA

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 29 12 1:44 PM

Sexy Phoebe Kates and Jamie Gertz photos...So very 80s girls. Christie Brinkley and Carol Atl already graced the pages of Sports Illustrated and other magazines during the early 80s while Patrick was with us... In 1984 Paulina got her S.I. Cover and soon thereafter Elle and Cindy Crawford hit Supermodel status. Sometimes I think Nagel was influenced by some of the early supermodels and other times I wonder how much Nagel himself eventually influenced who the fashion industry chose to be models that graced their pages. Nagelesque women were very sought after and the 80s in my opinion has had the most beautiful woman ever in print with regards to style.

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id356.htm

Also I would be remiss not to mention Jennifer Beals especially since Flashdance is 1983.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 21 13 12:20 PM

angela jolie characters are most assuredly a nagel woman: tomb raider, salt, mrs smith are all movies with the dominant, attractive woman whose characters revolve around that characteristic. i think the movie salt image best matches nagelism in her typical male adventurer series films

Salt

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 21 13 12:39 PM

lauren bacall's character in the hemingway film, to have or have not, is nagel. she pursues the protagonist, who at first resists, thus giving more room for more female pursuing, more nagel woman. she has the looks. she even has the black dress

"steve, you do know how to whistle..."

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jan 21 13 7:26 PM

This is a brilliant topic and part of the reason why I am on this forum. I love seeing everyone's posts on this!

To me, this is the beauty of the Nagel woman. She can be anyone and everyone. It's hard to believe that for the most part these paintings were of real women idealized and stylized in only a way that Patrick could do. With some examples I've seen bearing a strong likeness still visible in the end result and others were part of the process in his fantastic transformation from reality to the hyper stylized fantastic paintings I've pored over endlessly. 

Here is my contribution to this topic: Ania Pieroni's character in  "Inferno" by the Italian horror film director Dario Argento. 

This happens to be one of my favorite films of all time not only for the incredible styling, art direction and lighting design but for much that is left to be interpreted with the plot. In the movie Ania Pieroni's character makes a brief appearance and never says an audible word but commands more attention than most of the actors in the film. 

This film received mostly negative critical reviews at the time of its release. It definitely has what may be in retrospect an unintended cheese factor on top of the extremely stylish and not unbearably gory horror. 

I see Ania's character as the quintessential Nagel woman with her steely unapproachable demeanor. She is undeniably mysterious, leaving the viewer with more questions than answers. 

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Feb 8 13 9:22 PM

Mmmike,

"Lori" was probably modeled after a woman named Lori.  I do not know of any Playmates with that name.  I did hear that she was a blonde woman.

As for Pat Ast,  the role I remember her best for was dishing out discipline to Wendy O. Williams in "Reform School Girls."   grin

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 8 13 10:02 PM

Attached is an image from the Nagel DVD which features the actual photo-shoot with the model for Lori

I am posting about Lori this weekend in the thread "different versions" since I need to get my good photos and I am going to be busy with a conference this weekend and won't have time to do the scans I want of Palm Springs Life for another week.  Plus Lori exists on illustration board, canvas, and as a black line, so she is easy to post.  :)

Like Nagelite said, she is a blond.  Yet another reason to buy the Todd Bingham DVD.  :)

cheers,

NA

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help